The Wilcox County Schools Attendance Protocol has been updated for consistency among each of our three schools. Please review this protocol to be aware of school attendance guidelines.
If you have any questions, please contact Matthew Hall at (229) 318-0418 or your school counselor .
Wilcox County Schools Attendance Protocol
Positive Rewards for Attendance Each school will have positive rewards for students earning perfect attendance.
Tardy to School A student is tardy to school when he/she arrives after the bell. On the fifth (5) unexcused tardy, the parent may be contacted by phone and notified of the attendance policy and possible consequences resulting from unexcused tardies.
Early Dismissal Early Dismissal involves students who are signed out before a designated dismissal time. On the fifth (5) unexcused early dismissal, the parent may be notified by phone of the attendance policy and possible consequences resulting from unexcused early dismissals.
REACH Scholarship Guidelines Any student deemed truant is ineligible for the REACH Scholarship Program. Full guidelines can be found at www.reachga.org.
- At two (2) unexcused absences, the school office may make a phone call or send a letter to the parent or guardian about the consequences that the child will face if he/she continues to be absent from school.
- At four (4) unexcused absences, the school office may send a letter to the parent or guardian regarding the child being placed on an attendance contract. At this time, the school will request an attendance meeting with the parent/guardian, student (when applicable), counselor, attendance director and possibly someone from the District Attorney’s office, local law enforcement, Department of Family and Children Services (DFCS) and/or Department of Juvenile Justice (DJJ).
- After five (5) unexcused absences during the school calendar year, the student will be deemed truant and truancy charges may be filed on the parent and/or student.
- Only 2 parent/guardian notes will be accepted per semester for excused absences. After two (2) parent/guardian notes are received, only excuses from a doctor will be accepted. Each parent/guardian note may cover up to three (3) consecutive days of absence. All excuses must be provided to your child’s homeroom teacher within three days of returning to school.
- Wilcox County students will be excused from school for no more than 2 days if the student is sent home for head lice.
- The Wilcox County Board of Education approved guidelines for excusing students from school. These guidelines can be found printed along with this protocol in the 2017-2018 Student Agenda/Handbooks.